Update on Back to School 2020 Shared by LAUSD Board Member Kelly Gonez at our August 20, 2020 Meeting
- The District has invested over $100 million to date in devices for distance learning and internet hotspots
- We began the school year with a “Smart Start” – During the first two days of the school year, students and families virtually attended orientations, collected their textbooks and devices, and met with their teachers. Educators also had time to train and plan together for remote instruction, allowing every school to set a strong foundation for the academic year.
- Classes for the fall include daily live instruction, as well as offline lessons such as pre-recorded lessons or independent work. Daily attendance is being taken, and there will be grades in addition to regular feedback and support from teachers.
- Over 55 million meals served through the 63 Grab n Go Centers. The nearest ones for North Hills East are Porter Middle School and Sepulveda Middle School, and run from 7am-10am.
- The current order from the Governor for schools to be allowed to re-open is in effect until LA County has fewer than 100 cases per 100,000 residents, and our positivity rate for COVID 19 is under 8%. At the time we attended the meeting, LA County was at about 275 cases per 100,000, and the positivity rate was just under 9%.
- Last week, we announced a COVID-19 testing and tracing program for staff, students, and their families. This program will provide free periodic testing so we can maintain everyone’s safety.
- The District has transitioned to a new Communities of Schools model to ensure our services are personalized and connected to the communities that our schools serve. Here in North Hills West, your schools all fall under the Monroe Community of Schools. Monroe SH will serve as the hub for the community, which will support students and families from Gledhill ES, Einstein HS, Monroe SH and the schools that feed into it. You can visit their website to learn more and find all the contact information: https://sites.google.com/lausd.net/monroecos-/home.