And its implications on Space / Mars / Lunar exploration, Human Space Flight &
Space Tourism, Aviation, Airlines, Communications, UAV/drones, Satellites, Businesses, Power Grids, Emergency Responses, Safety, and Daily Lives etc.
Dr. Tamitha Skov
Research Scientist, The Aerospace Corporation
Dr. Tamitha Skov is a space weather physicist. You may recognize her from TV shows she has done for The History Channel and The Weather Channel. She has been featured in Popular Science Magazine, and she does regular Space Weather broadcasts on TWiT TV. She wants to open your world to a new kind of weather that’s becoming important to our daily lives.
Think of all the technology we take for granted, things like GPS and traffic apps on mobile phones, robotic drones and high-altitude airline flights, satellite internet, wireless devices, Direct TV, even Sirius Radio — all of these things are affected by Space Weather. As we become more reliant on smart, wireless technologies, our dependence upon understanding the influence of Space Weather grows. Even today, emergency radio communications used by disaster relief agencies like the Red Cross depend on it. Dr. Skov is working to make credible Space Weather forecasts as common as the weather forecasts you see on the evening news. She would love for you to join her on this journey!
- Learn what Space Weather really is and learn more about its importance
- Learn why understanding Space Weather is important for all of us, not just the Aerospace industry
- Learn how Space Weather affects Human Space Flight & Mars/Solar System/Space Exploration
- Learn how Space Weather affects our safety, life, health, survival, and daily lives on Earth
- Understand how Space Weather influences power grids, communications (space or ground), UAV/drones, emergency or disaster responses, GPS, airlines/pilots, radios etc.
- Learn more about the breaths of our Sun, the invisible structures/activities of our Solar System. and their interactions with the Interstellar medium and even the galactic subjects, in electromagtic energy and radiation etc.
- Learn how the Sun actually protects us
- Network with the speaker, aerospace professionals, engineers, pilots, scientists, educators, students, and enthusiasts etc
Manhattan Beach Library
1320 Highland Avenue
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266
(South of 105 Hwy and West of 405 Hwy/Pacific Coast Hwy (1))
(Lot 8 – Free – 10 hour limit, Lots 5, 6, 14, & 15 – $.75 per hour – 2 hour limit)
Tuesday, December 4, 2018, 5:30 PM – 9:00 PM (Presentation starts at 6:45 PM)
(Library closes at 9:00 PM, but the networking can continue in the patio.)
(Ticket sale will end after Sunday, December 2, 2018)
RSVP & Information