CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) Community meetings are free and open to all. You do not have to be a trained CERT responder to attend these meetings. Meetings are held throughout Los Angeles. Information on these meetings and much more is available at .
To sign up for a CERT class, go to eventbrite.com and search for CERT LA. You’ll see a listing of all the Los Angeles CERT training and other classes listed, and can click on the REGISTER button to sign up.
Fire Size-up, Suppression, and Safety. Learn the 9 steps to fire size-up. Practice Fire suppression with hands-on training using the buddy system. Learn the different types of extinguishers and which fires they are designed for and their effective range. Fire safety: Learn about your PPE, how to test a door before opening/entering, how to help confine a fire in a structure, and where to stay for breathable air in a fire.
Sign up via eventbrite.
Van Nuys/Sherman Oaks Adult Recreation Center
5056 Van Nuys Blvd.
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
Date & Time:
Sunday, Feb, 24
12:30 pm to 2:30 pm
LAFD CERT Valley Classes
March 1 – Porter Ranch, Battalion 15
March 14 – Granada Hills, Battalion 15 (sponsored by Granada Hills North Neighborhood Council and North Valley Coalition) 6:30pm to 9:00pm at Knollwood Country Club (just south of Fire Station 18 on Balboa). Sign up on eventbrite.com. We have a few spaces available. Firefighter Jensen is the instructor.
Classes already started, but if you need a make-up session, here is the info:
- January 8 – Canoga Park, Battalion 15
- January 9 – Sherman Oaks, Battalion 10
- January 9 – Sun Valley, Battalion 12
Map Your Neighborhood/Search and Rescue/Triage Drill in the Community of Oakridge
March 9, 2019, 3:00 pm to 8:00 pm (it’s on our calendar). Register for participation on eventbrite.com. Preference given to those who have attended the Batn. 12 preceding trainings. Limited capacity, so sign up early.
To prepare, Battalion 12 will be extending (slightly) their Feb. Community Meetings (all are invited) to run from 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm. Contact Janet Gibson, LAFD CERT Battalion 12 Co-coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resources For Getting Prepared
PDF files for personal, car, pet, work, home, kid’s go bag suggested contents, pet preparedness, home security, nuclear safety, where supplies can be purchased, and much more, are on the Southern California Preparedness Foundation website: SoCalPrep.us. Amazon is also a great place to shop.
Steve Jobs died a billionaire at age 56. This is his final essay:
I reached the pinnacle of success in the business world. In some others’ eyes, my life is the epitome of success. However, aside from work, I have little joy. In the end, my wealth is only a fact of life that I am accustomed to. At this moment, lying on my bed and recalling my life, I realize that all the recognition and wealth that I took so much pride in have paled and become meaningless in the face of my death.
You can employ someone to drive the car for you, make money for you but you cannot have someone bear your sickness for you. Material things lost can be found or replaced But there is one thing that can never be found when it’s lost – Life. Whichever stage in life you are in right now, with time, you will face the day when the curtain comes down.
Treasure love for your family, love for your spouse, love for your friends. Treat yourself well and cherish others. As we grow older, and hopefully wiser, we realize that a $300 or a $30 watch both tell the same time. You will realize that your true inner happiness does not come from the material things of this world. Whether you fly first class or economy, if the plane goes down – you go down with it.
Therefore, I hope you realize, when you have mates, buddies and old friends, brothers and sisters, who you chat with, laugh with, talk with, have sing songs with, talk about north-south-east-west or heaven and earth, that is true happiness! Don’t educate your children to be rich. Educate them to be happy. So when they grow up they will know the value of things and not the price. Eat your food as your medicine, otherwise you have to eat medicine as your food.
The One who loves you will never leave you for another because, even if there are 100 reasons to give up, he or she will find a reason to hold on.There is a big difference between a human being and being human. Only a few really understand it. You are loved when you are born. You will be loved when you die. In between, you have to manage!
The six best doctors in the world are Sunlight, Rest, Exercise, Diet, Self-confidence and FRIENDS. Maintain them in all stages and enjoy a healthy life.
Radio Nets Emphasizing Emergency/Disaster Preparedness
If you have a ham radio license and your call sign doesn’t appear here: ________, please let me know what it is. Licensed amateurs are encouraged to check in on the ham radio nets listed below.
FRS/GMRS nets. (Family Radio Service/General Mobile Radio Service.) Radio operators are encouraged to check into any (or all!) of the following nets:
- Lake Balboa Neighborhood Council EP net meets every Sunday, 10:00 am (or at the conclusion of the ham radio EP net), on channel 15.
- Oakridge Estates (Sylmar) net meets first Sunday at 10:30 am onchannel 15.
- Neighborhood Council Valley Village net meets the last Sunday of the month, 10:00 am, on channel 5.
- Los Feliz Neighborhood Council net meets the first Monday of the month, 7:00 pm, on channel 15.
- CERT South Bureau (Westside Village) net meets the first Tuesday of the month, about 7:30 pm (follows a ham radio net), on channel 15 via GMRS repeater. Net control may also be able to hear you simplex, so if you are not GMRS licensed, give it a try on simplex.
Amateur Radio (ham) nets. Licensed amateur radio operators are encouraged to check into any (or all!) of the following nets:
- Lake Balboa Emergency Preparedness net meets every Sunday morning, 9:00 am, on 145.570 mHz simplex
- Hillside Communities Emergency Communications (HCEC) net meets every Saturday morning, 8:30 am, on 144.505 mHz, +600 kHz, PL tone: 162.2.
- CERT South Bureau (Westside Village) net meets the first Tuesday of the month at 7:00 pm on the Hughes repeater, 445.620 mHz, -5 mHz, PL tone: 127.3.
- Southern California Mutual Aid net meets every Tuesday at 7:00 pm on 447.820 mHz, -5 mHz, PL tone: 67.0.