7248 Owensmouth Ave., Canoga Park. Second Sunday of each month, 2-4 p.m. Free. (818) 340-5639.
Archives and Collections
The Canoga-Owensmouth Historical Society’s collection contains photo-graphs, books, pamphlets, documents, artifacts, and oral interviews dealing with the history of the West San Fernando Valley, with emphasis on the area that was originally known as Owensmouth and is now called Canoga Park.
Among these materials are high school yearbooks from 1916 to the 1950s; publications from the local women’s club; a thesis on the development of the town; clippings and scrapbooks; and ephemera from the chamber of commerce, the Lion’s Club, and other local organizations. Permanent and rotating displays at the society’s museum depict life in the San Fernando Valley from the days of the Chumash Indians through the Mexican Rancho era and the period of dry farming and grain growing in the 1800s to the transformation brought about by the arrival of aerospace industries in the 1950s and 1960s.
Year Round Access: Yes
Open to the Public: Yes
Public Hours: Second and fourth Sunday of each month, 2-4 pm
Open for Research: Yes
Research Hours: By appointment only
Access Procedures: A special time may be arranged. Materials used at site.