Fireworks can be Deadly for Pets
There’s more to worry about than just loud noises when it comes to fireworks and your pet’s safety
Los Angeles, July 2, 2019 – The 4th of July can be a very difficult time for pets. Loud noises caused by fireworks and partying can already be overwhelming, but pet owners should know that there’s more to be concerned about than the disruptive noise, and that this knowledge could make the difference between life and death for our furry family members.
When unused or used fireworks are ingested, they are poisonous to pets. Fireworks contain hazardous chemicals such as potassium nitrate, which is an oxidizing agent. They can also contain charcoal or sulfur and coloring agents, which are potentially dangerous heavy metals. When ingested, pets can develop gastrointestinal issues like vomiting, a painful abdomen and bloody diarrhea.
In some cases, it can get worse.
The severity of pet health issues resulting from ingestion will depend on the type of fireworks and the amount that was ingested. Pets ingesting large amounts can suffer tremors or seizures, along with acute kidney failure, bone marrow changes, shallow breathing and jaundice, which is yellowing of the skin.
If your pet experiences any of these symptoms, please take them immediately to your veterinarian to have them checked. Make sure to inspect your yard for used fireworks, and dispose of their remains and clean up any soot or ash that may be left. Make sure to keep an eye on what you pet is eating, and supervise them if they go outside.
Los Angeles Department of Animal Services is one of the largest municipal shelter systems in the United States with six services centers serving approximately 60,000 animals annually and responding to 20,000 emergency calls involving an animal or person in danger. LA Animal Services promotes and protects the health, safety and welfare of animals and people.
Drivers Overcome Web of Regulations to Deliver Holiday Fireworks:
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!